PHOTOGRAPHS  1941 - 1943:
Fort Lewis, Washington

1941

The 756th tank Battalion
(light) was activated here
on June 1st, 1941.

(David Redle)
Click on each thumbnail to enlarge...
Fort Lewis, Washington

1942

A 756th Tank Battalion
M2 "Combat Car"
maneuvers through the
mud of a training course.
M2s were the first
"tanks" used by the
battalion. They were
introduced in 1938 and
already obsolete by 1940.

(David Redle)
Fort Lewis, Washington

1942

Two M3 light tanks and
an M3 "Lee" medium
tank of the 756th Tank
Battalion depart camp for
a day of training.

(David Redle)
Fort Lewis, Washington

1942

2nd Lt. Roger Fazendin
uses hand signals from
his m3 light tank to alert
his platoon during
training maneuvers.

(David Redle)
Fort Lewis,
Washington

1942

Profile of 2nd Lt. Roger
Fazendin while training
in an M3 light tank. The
M3 was later replaced
by the newer M5A1 light
tank.

(David Redle)
Newport News, Virginia

October 20th, 1942

2nd Lt Edwin Olson of
"C" Company prepares to
ship out with his platoon
of M5A1 light tanks as
part of the Operation
Torch landings near
Casablanca, Morocco.

(Library of Virginia
photo C1:2/01/019)
Newport News, Virginia

1942

756th Tank Battalion
M5A1 light tanks
equipped for amphibious
landings await loading for
Operation Torch.

(Library of Virginia
photo C1:2/01/047)
Cassino Area, Italy

Late 1943

A crew from "B"
Company prepares their
M4 Sherman for battle.
In November 1944 the
756th Tank Battalion was
re-designated a medium
tank battalion and
equipped with M4
medium tanks.

(Gene Palumbo)